Friday, October 7, 2011

Why Do I Run?

I did it. I ran the St. George marathon for the 3rd time.

I was super stoked up until 2 weeks prior to the race. My sister planned on having her and 11 of her friends to go run Napa Valley Ragnar the 2nd week of September. I was jealous so I told her that if she were to need someone, to count me in. Well, one of her friends backed out so I was in. I was soooo stoked. I love Ragnar Relays. If you haven't done one, then do it as soon as you can. Well we were all stoked about it, then one by one my sister's friends ALL backed out. No joke. So we asked my friends. Me and 3 of my friends were all planning on it. I trained really well for it because I needed to qualify for the Boston marathon this year. I ran with my friends a couple of times and then one by one, my friends all backed out as well. Minus Zeek. The biggest flake of all my friends. He held true to his word and ran it with me. We drove to San Francisco and stayed with my family there and hardly got any sleep. I was nervous because we were running with 8 of 12 runners so Stacey, her friend, and I had to make up the other legs. I ended up running a total of 31 miles and pulled 2 ligaments out of my ankle including my achilles. You should have seen it. It was YUGE. It was fun. But I was miserable.





So I went to a physical therapist and he insisted on me not running the marathon. Jokes on him. I wasn't going to let 4 months of training to go down the drain. So I went. Naturally. I was excited about it. There's something about the St. George Marathon that just excites me. It's such a well-organized race with hundreds of awesome volunteers and spectators. Plus, my best friend Kara was down there and is always with my family at the finish line. It was awesome. So I started fairly strong. I was setting a good pace to qualify for Boston up until mile 4 when my ankle cramped up and my sister's headphones went out. Me, being the gentlemen I am, gave my sister mine so I could leave her and know that she would finish strong. Mile 10 came up, and the pain shooting through my right leg/ankle was excruciating and I knew that once I stopped I wouldn't be able to start up again. I ran through the pain and finished in an hour longer than expected. Atleast I finished, right? There is always next year to qualify. If I'm still living after this ankle injury. Keep me in your prayers.


1 comment:

droppin by